Research Roundtable 2019
Date: Fall 2019
About Research Roundtable
The Purdue Society of Professional Engineers and the Purdue Office of Undergraduate Research invite all undergraduate students as well as research mentors, programs and directors to attend the 9th annual Purdue Research Roundtable in Fall 2019. This event is similar to a job/career fair and offers students seeking research opportunities the chance to explore available opportunities at Purdue.
Students: Tips For A Successful Experience
Before you arrive
- Study the list of research programs.
- Select one or more who interest you.
- Spend some time looking over the researchers' websites, studies, etc.
- Critique your resume/cover letter, so it reflects your interest in them.
- Get a good night's sleep and eat a good breakfast! You want to make a good impression, without bags under your eyes.
When you arrive
- Dress for success: business casual/formal is recommended.
- Make yourself memorable. Stand out, but don't border obnoxious.
- Bring several copies of your resume, extra paper, and a folder for handouts.
- Make sure your resumes look as professional as you do. Consider the Writing Lab or CCO for help/advice.
- Bring business cards or portfolio if you have one available.
While you interview
- Greet the researcher(s) with your name and a firm handshake, while maintaining eye contact.
- When answering questions, remember STAR: what was the situation? What was your individual task during the situation? What action did you take? What was your action's result?
After you interview
- After a day or two, send an email or handwritten note to the researcher(s) you met, thanking them for the time they gave you during the interview and reiterating your interest.
- Make sure to check your email frequently for a response.
Researchers: Tips for a Productive Experience
Before You Arrive
- Sign up on our survey link above.
- Make sure all relative information is filled in.
- If there's a question/problem with the survey, send an email to our contact listed below.
- Check for a survey submission confirmation email within a few days.
- This should give you a username/password to sign in online.
- Use your login to check your survey submission online.
- Food, dessert, and drinks will be provided. Please contact us if you have any food allergies or special requests.
- Email any questions or critiques to our contact. We'd love to know how to improve the experience.
When you Arrive
- Bring any posters you have available!
- Poster boards, tables, and chairs will be provided (one table and two chairs per group).
- Bring your computer if you have any slides or electronic demonstrations.
- Make sure that you reserve any needed power cords through your survey online.
- Bring handouts (brochures, pamphlets or business cards).
- Feel free to bring any equipment for example/demonstrations.
- Business casual dress is recommended.
During An Interview
- Greet students with your name and a firm handshake, while maintaining eye contact.
- Give them a background of your research.
- Feel free to ask the student questions about their interest in your research.
- Tell students how to get involved, or sign up.
After An Interview
- Be sure to give students an exact day by which you will contact them with additional information.
- Remember to grab a copy of their resume or their contact information! They have been instructed to bring it.
Questions? E-Mail the Research Roundtable Committee Chair Nicole Dorcy